As head of the Dispute Resolution and Commercial & Regulatory Practice Groups in Belarus, I advise clients in a pragmatic and forward-thinking way. At the same time, I try to be socially responsible and contribute to developing the Belarusian legal environment and the international arbitration landscape.
Certificate of attestation of person providing legal services № 284, issued on 27.06.2023 by the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Belarus.
Conflicts. I effectively manage and resolve conflicts, helping clients to find solutions to the most complex situations. No matter what kind of conflict clients are facing, I know what methods of dispute resolution to use in order to develop a tailor-made strategy for every case. As counsel, I have experience in high-value arbitrations under ICSID, ICC, LCIA, SCC, VIAC, IAC at the BelCCI and UNCITRAL rules and litigation in the Belarusian courts with particular focus on international trade, technology and corporate disputes. As an arbitrator, I am on the Lists of Recommended Arbitrators of IAC at the BelCCI, VIAC, VCCA and the Sports Arbitration Court of the Belarusian Republican Union of Lawyers, where I also serve as a member of the Presidium. Over the last few years I have been appointed as an arbitrator under the ICC, SCC and IAC Rules both by parties and by institutions.
Negotiating and drafting complex contracts. I have extensive expertise in drafting and negotiating complex commercial contracts in trade, distribution, services, IP/IT, energy and construction along with substantial M&A and corporate experience in advising foreign companies and banks on their investments in Belarus.
International trade & investment. I have unique experience of acting as the General Advisor to the Economic Court of the Commonwealth of Independent States and delivering expert reports to the Court of the Eurasian Economic Community in cases related to investment and arbitration. I am also privileged to be designated to the ICSID Panel of Arbitrators and to the roster of experts for resolution of CIS disputes by the Republic of Belarus.
Recognized business lawyer in Belarus. I have been recognized as a leading practitioner in Belarus by all major directories, including Chambers Global, Chambers Europe, IFLR 1000, Legal 500 and Who’s Who Legal. I also regularly speak and publish on dispute resolution and international trade matters both in Belarus and abroad.
Raising talents. As a HR partner, I am enthusiastic about enabling potential in others and developing HR policies and culture. Since 2004 I have been lecturing at the Belarusian State University and helping young talents in future international moot court endeavours.
- University of Cambridge, Judge Business School, UK (the Law Firm Partner as Leader programme)
- University of Barcelona, Spain (course on WTO Dispute Settlement of the IELPO LLM Program)
- ICC Advanced Arbitration Academy (course for arbitrators jointly organised by the International Chamber of Commerce and Chartered Institute of Arbitrators)
- London School of Economics and Political Sciences, UK (course on Financial Law Issues for Lawyers in Transition Economies jointly organised with the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development)
- Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce, Sweden (training in International Commercial Arbitration for Lawyers from CIS countries)
- T.M.C. Asser Instituut, The Netherlands (Asser College Europe, Post-graduate Course in International Trade and Business Law)
- Belarusian State University, Belarus (Diploma in Law, summa cum laude)
I am a member of
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- International Bar Association
- Public Advisory Counsel to the State Customs Committee of the Republic of Belarus
Deals & Cases
Company in pharma sector secures a victory in VIAC arbitrationDeals & Cases
Ministry of Antimonopoly Regulation and Trade approves acquisition of control over BeST by Turkey Wealth FundDeals & Cases
BelOMO defends its interests at the International Arbitration Court of the International Chamber of CommerceDeals & Cases
Belarussian manufacturer continues fulfilling contract despite COVID-19 force majeureDeals & Cases
Polpharma opens its subsidiary in BelarusDeals & Cases
Who’s Who Legal recommends Sorainen arbitration expertsPublication
International Comparative Legal Guide to Enforcement of Foreign Judgments 2021, BelarusPublication
Eurasian Investigations GuidePublication
Taxes in a Nutshell 2021Publication
Sorainen Arbitration Series. Interviews with Arbitration InstitutionsPublication
Discussion about the career in the arbitration was held in MinskNews
We jointly hosted the arbitration business game in MinskNews
Sorainen demonstrates strong performance in Chambers Global 2021 rankingsNews
Taxes in a Nutshell 2021News
Who’s Who Legal recognises Sorainen arbitration expertsNews