I have been practising tax & customs law since 1995. With my tax team at Sorainen ‒ and before that at one of Big4 ‒ I have been involved in countless large-scale projects covering most of the main tax aspects in all industries operating in Latvia. Under my management Sorainen has been recognised as Baltic Tax Firm of the Year by ITR 10 times out of 11 years since the Baltics have been evaluated. My passion for work especially excels when the tax team is testing ground where nobody has trodden before.
Our clients build our society. Serving businesses, I try to provide an honest view of whether an issue is worth fighting for and worth fighting for with us. If the answer to both questions is “yes”, I will do so with care and enthusiasm. It is important that, as a tax team, we share the same values and passion. We know that we have succeeded when we can create actual monetary benefits for our clients, yet we never do this at the expense of society.
Taking on difficult cases. I care about handling clients’ cases, including resolving difficult issues and wandering into areas where no one has gone before. I also consider it extremely important to improve the overall tax environment as well as I can – for example, standing by laws preventing VAT fraud, or for better tax laws regulating charities and NGOs.
Prolific commentator and lecturer. I have published over 400 articles, blogs and other publications, mostly on taxation and customs law, in the Latvian and international business media, including appearances on TV. I have also lectured about tax at both local and international conferences and seminars, as well as universities.
Big4 experience. Before joining Sorainen over a decade ago, I learned a lot with a Big4 professional services firm, like most of our tax team colleagues. Our approach to client matters is to resolve them mostly through senior experts.
- Specialised professional courses by KPMG and the International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation, the International Fiscal Association, ERA, VAT Forum, Riga Graduate School of Law and many others
- University of Latvia, Latvia (LLB, LLM)
I am a member of
- Latvian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI), National Strategy Council that decides on solving and lobbying issues important for the LCCI members in relations with the government, Deputy Chairperson
- Latvian Bar Association, Deputy Chairman of Tax and Finance Commission
- International Bar Association, Tax Law Section
- International Fiscal Association
- AIJA (Association Internationale des Jeunes Avocats), Tax Law Commission
- VAT Forum
- International VAT Group “VAT Europe”
- WTS Alliance
- Transfer Pricing Associates
- International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation (IBFD)
Deals & Cases
Entrepreneurs for Peace ensure installation of windows on the premises of the Ukrainian Society of the DeafDeals & Cases
INDEXO implements share option plan for management and the employeesDeals & Cases
Vista Equity Partners acquired PipedriveDeals & Cases
Hexatronic acquires Baltronic and ToronicsDeals & Cases
VPH to develop Sāga – a new large lifestyle shopping centre in StopiņiDeals & Cases
Tax Stories Podcast – Episode 53 – Błażej KuźniackiPublication
Taxes in a Nutshell 2024Publication
Tax Stories Podcast – Episode 52 – Dr.Leopoldo ParadaPublication
Tax Stories Podcast – Episode 50 – Pascal Saint-AmansPublication
En.lsm.lv: Latvia’s VAT on food among highest in EUPublication
Aija Lasmane joins the regional Sorainen partnershipNews
Partner Jānis Taukačs was again recognised for his support to UkraineNews
Jānis Taukačs – new Member of the Supervisory Board at WTS GlobalNews
Sorainen tops Chambers’ rankings as the leading private client team in the BalticsNews
Sorainen partner Jānis Taukačs awarded the Order of the Three StarsNews