As head of our Tax practice, my client portfolio includes over 1,000 businesses. Practising tax and customs law since 1995, my passion for this work comes from doing what I truly enjoy, especially when together with colleagues and clients we are testing ground nobody has stepped on before.
Our clients build our society. Serving businesses, I try to provide an honest view of whether an issue is worth fighting for and worth fighting for with us. If the answer to both questions is “yes”, I will do so with care and enthusiasm. It is important that, as a tax team, we share the same values and passion. We know that we have succeeded when we can create actual monetary benefits for our clients, yet we never do this at the expense of society.
Taking on difficult cases. I care about handling clients’ cases, including resolving difficult issues and wandering into areas where no one has gone before. I also consider it extremely important to improve the overall tax environment as well as I can – for example, standing by laws preventing VAT fraud, or for better tax laws regulating charities and NGOs.
Prolific commentator and lecturer. I have published over 400 articles, blogs and other publications, mostly on taxation and customs law, in the Latvian and international business media, including appearances on TV. I have also lectured about tax at both local and international conferences and seminars, as well as universities.
Big4 experience. Before joining Sorainen over a decade ago, I learned a lot with a Big4 professional services firm, like most of our tax team colleagues. Our approach to client matters is to resolve them mostly through senior experts.
- Specialised professional courses by KPMG and the International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation, the International Fiscal Association, ERA, VAT Forum, Riga Graduate School of Law and many others
- University of Latvia, Latvia (LLB, LLM)
I am a member of
- Latvian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (LCCI), National Strategy Council that decides on solving and lobbying issues important for the LCCI members in relations with the government, Deputy Chairperson
- Latvian Bar Association, Deputy Chairman of Tax and Finance Commission
- International Bar Association, Tax Law Section
- International Fiscal Association
- AIJA (Association Internationale des Jeunes Avocats), Tax Law Commission
- VAT Forum
- International VAT Group “VAT Europe”
- WTS Alliance
- Transfer Pricing Associates
- International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation (IBFD)
Deals & Cases
VPH to develop Sāga – a new large lifestyle shopping centre in StopiņiDeals & Cases
Latvian airline airBaltic issues 5-year EUR 200 million bondsDeals & Cases
Linstow sells Galerija CentrsDeals & Cases
Transfer pricing update for Bridgestone BalticsDeals & Cases
Transfer pricing policy for Devbridge GroupDeals & Cases