I am head of the firm’s Dispute Resolution & Risk Management team in Lithuania. In my legal practice, spanning over 20 years, I have dealt with commercial disputes both in the Lithuanian and international courts and in commercial arbitration institutions. I have significant experience in criminal defence and criminal investigations related to criminal fraud and other financial and corporate offences or so-called white collar crime.
Leading dispute resolution expert. During the last three years alone I have represented clients at state and arbitration courts or acted as arbitrator in disputes with a total value of over EUR 1 billion. My experience includes representing clients in landmark cases concerning damages claims, M&A transactions, corporate civil fraud, shareholders’ disputes, contractual disputes, competition, property, product quality, financial products, intellectual property, reputation, company management liability and criminal fraud. I also have substantial experience in leading complex asset-tracing and criminal fraud investigations. One of my most prominent cases was the impeachment process of the President of the Republic of Lithuania in 2003-2004, in which I acted as legal counsel for a former President of the Republic of Lithuania before the Lithuanian Constitutional Court and parliament.
International courts and arbitration institutions. I have represented and advised clients in international investment disputes before the International Court Of Arbitration at the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). I also have extensive experience of representing clients at the European Court of Justice (ECJ) and the International Court of Humans Rights (ECtHR). I have arbitrated proceedings and represented clients at the Vilnius Court of Commercial Arbitration, the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce and other arbitration institutes abroad as well as in ad hoc arbitration.
Cross-border litigation. I have been advising international clients in cross-border litigation and investigations related to asset tracing, financial fraud schemes, and the like. My assistance includes providing international clients with legal expert opinions and supporting them in pending proceedings in other jurisdictions in the European Union, the USA, the Russian Federation and elsewhere.
Contributing to the legislative environment. In 2009-2012 I was a member of the working group responsible for drafting the Law on Commercial Arbitration currently in force in Lithuania.
Experience in the banking sector and Ministry of Justice. Prior to starting legal practice I worked at the Lithuanian Ministry of Justice, the State Commercial Bank of Lithuania and DNB Bank (now Luminor). This experience contributed to my in-depth understanding of internal processes and structures of financial institutions as well as insider knowledge of the national judicial system.
Highly rated by clients and international directories. According to Chambers Europe, clients refer to me as “an excellent dispute resolution lawyer capable of preparing a coherent strategy and perfectly representing clients in disputes and negotiations, as well as thinking several steps ahead. He works like a solid chess player ‒ never takes a good move without assessment of a better option”.
- Centre for Assistance to Financial and Credit Institutions of Transitional Countries, Italy (Course on Investment Analysis and Related Credit Instruments)
- The Institute of Banking, Insurance and Finance of Lithuania, Lithuania (Course on Credits Statements)
- The Institute of European Law of the University of Birmingham, UK (Human rights program)
- Vilnius University, Lithuania (MA in Law)
I am a member of
- Lithuanian Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Arbitrator of Vilnius Court of Commercial Arbitration (before the reorganisation – Arbitration Court at the Association ICC – Lithuania)
- Member of Arbitration Committee of Lithuanian Business Confederation | ICC Lithuania
- Recommended arbitrator of International Commercial Court of Arbitration under the Chamber of Commerce of the Russian Federation
- Recommended arbitrator of Arbitration of the Chamber of Commerce of the Republic of Moldova