With a background as a dual-qualified dispute resolution attorney ‒ having received higher education in both the civil law and common law systems, and being licensed to practice in Estonia as well as in the United States ‒ my professional drive and curiosity lie in international arbitration.
Representation in international arbitration. Clients include the first Estonian investor to file a claim in the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (Washington, DC) against a foreign state for failure to enforce an international arbitration award. Another major client was an Estonian state-owned company in an international arbitration dispute concerning Estonian energy security.
Interests of minority shareholders. I am seasoned in litigating for the interests of minority shareholders in Estonian companies against wrongful acts by majority shareholders.
Lectures on investment arbitration. Every year, I lecture on investment arbitration in the Sorainen Student Academy and am happy to say the topic has been on the students’ “most popular” list for years.
- Georgetown University Law Center, USA (LL.M. in International Business & Economic Law with a certificate in International Arbitration and Dispute Resolution, graduated with Distinction)
- University of Vienna, Austria, (exchange student, spring 2013)
- University of Salzburg (summer school in European private law)
- University of Tartu, Estonia (MA in Law)
- Howard University, Washington DC, USA (exchange student, fall 2010)
- University of Tartu, Estonia (BA in law)
I am a member of
- Estonian Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Young Arbitrators Forum of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC YAF)
- International Council for Commercial Arbitration (Young ICCA)
- Young International Arbitration Group of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA YIAG)
Deals & Cases
A successful action for annulment of a decision of the European Commission regarding quotas for greenhouse gasesDeals & Cases
Windoor files for international arbitration against KazakhstanDeals & Cases
Sorainen Arbitration Series. Interviews with Arbitration InstitutionsPublication
Sorainen contributes to international litigation & dispute resolution guidePublication
Clifford Chance. International Mediation Guide. Second EditionPublication
Allen & Overy LLP: Global Litigation Survey 2015Publication
Who’s Who Legal recognises Sorainen arbitration expertsNews
Sorainen ranked among the finest international arbitration law firmsNews
Sorainen lawyers recognised as arbitration expertsNews
Sorainen contributes to international arbitration guideNews
Sorainen ranked among the world’s leading international arbitration firmsNews